Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veggie Dude up and running!

G'day guys,

I've had afew people on my back for a while now, to start a blog about one of my passions - self sufficiency and sustainability. I guess a common misconception in this area, is that self-sufficiency and all it's related components are too 'hippy' for 'normal' people. How wrong you are...

You see, self sufficiency is not only a valid way to improve the world a little bit at a time, but it is also challenging and a bit of good fun. Self sufficiency, for those who are new to the idea, is basically the idea of living without the need for 'outside aid'...this could include doing simple things like growing your own vegetables, raising chooks for eggs, mending your own clothes etc. Whilst it can be extremely difficult for modern families to live in a completely self-sufficient way (I'm not even entirely self-sufficient), everyone can do a few things around their home to become a little bit more self-sufficient, thereby lowering the pressure society is putting on our planet.

So stay tuned...I'll be posting ideas and information for people who want to embrace a little bit of self-sufficiency, and I'll be covering topics such as:

- Vegetable gardening and growing different types of veggies, herbs and fruit, aswell as organic pest control and fertilising
- Recycling and composting
- Raising chickens
- Hints and tips about sustainability in the home and garden

Any questions, queries or requests, please feel free to give me a yell, at theveggiedude@hotmail.com, and I'll be sure to get back to you :)

Cheers

The Veggie Dude

No comments: