Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Introducing My Garden

G'day guys,

Just thought a good starting point for my blog, would be a little bit of an introduction to my garden. So I took some photos to show you guys around my veggie garden...Sorry about the dodgy pictures...I used a pretty poor camera, and my I didn't realise my fingers were in the way in some of the photos. :)

My tomato plants....also some radish and eggplant...The tomato plants are going strong this year. Generally, I save seed from successfu tomato plants and use them the next year. One or two of these plants were bought as seedlings, but most were grown from my own seed. The radish plants are only 2 weeks old...they grow very rapidly, and are a nice addition to salad or eaten fresh with some s and p.
This is a closer shot of my radish plants....I leave them in the ground until they are about 1.5 times the size of a golf ball, which is when they are the best in my opinion. Left much longer, they tend to turn woody and often become too spicy. Radish seeds are available on seed-tape, which is a long section of tape with the seeds attached at appropriate intervals, which makes growing them easy...just dig a shallow trench and lay the tape...easy :)

Passionfruit vine and compsot bin. This is the first season for this passionfruit, so I'm not expecting much from it this year. Hopefully next year it'll produce a bit of fruit :) I've got 2 compost bins, and a compost dock, but thats for another post :)



Some of my onions and leek....I'm harvesting the leek at the moment, and the onion plants should be ready soon....both very easy to grow with decent soil....

My corn, all grown from seed...Corn is best grown in 'blocks' rather than rows. This block formation, a shown in the photo, is a very successful formation for the corn...

This is one of my new experiment plants...it's a climbing spinach variety, which are pretty popular in Egypt I've heard...as you can see, not alot of foliage yet, but it has started sending out nodes which suggests it shouldn't be too long now! As you can see, I mulch with sugar cane mulch, which reduces the need for weeding, and helps retain moisture in the soil. As an added bonus, it breaks down in the soil, which adds organic matter and nutrients, which can be harnessed by other crops in the future.
Herbs are an easy addition to any garden. They are a perfect starting point for people with limited space, as they can be grown very successfully in pots or in planter trays on window sills. Here are some of my herbs...common mint and curlina parsley - my favourite herbs. I also love rosemary, and I have a huge bush of it at the moment...but no photo :) I'll post one later...

Rocket! Another of my favourite herbs/lettuce...I love throwing a bit of rocket into a salad or other recipe, because it adds a really natural peppery flavour that I really dig. Easy to grow, and is a so-called cut-and-come-again variety, so it's easy to pull a few leaves off here and there to use in cooking or whatever, and the plant will replace them pretty rapidly...

My capsicum plants - I planted them not so long ago, and I've been feeding them with organic fertilisers to give them a kick along...they are starting to produce a couple of fruit buds now so I'm stoked. I love my capsicum, so these 6 plants should do me for a while :)

My apple-cucumber (front) and zucchini (back) are starting to go nuts....The fruit and the flowers of zucchini can be used in cooking, and apple cucumbers are the best as a refreshing snack in summer...a bit of pepper and salt and you're rockin :)
So thats a bit of an intro to some of my garden....there is more...but that'll do for now :) Any questions, queries or requests, e-mail me at theveggiedude@hotmail.com, and I'll get back to you....
See you guys soon
The Veggie Dude

No comments: